May 15, 2012

Book #55 - Obsidian (Lux #1)


Obsidian (Lux #1), Jennifer L. Armentrout
299 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 5/5/12
Finished 5/6/12
5 STARS

In all the books I've read about all the supernatural beings, this is the first one I've read about aliens. I have lots of experience with vampires, weres, shifters, faeries, demons, angels and dragons. But no experience with ET. Obsidian has set the bar very high. I believe that all other alien books that I read (are there lots out there?) will be measured against this one. Because it was So. Good! (*doing my happy-awesome-book dance*)

Katy moves to West Virginia (insert Dueling Banjos theme here) with her mom to get away from the bad memories of her dad dying. She is immediately filled with very mixed feelings about her neighbor Daemon. He's absolutely beautiful - until he opens his mouth. What. A. Jerk. His saving grace is his sister, Dee, whom Katy becomes fast friends with. The problem is, the more she fights with him, the harder it is for Katy to stay away. And, then she starts seeing things when he and his sister are around. Around the same time some big danger comes to town too. Coincidence? Probably not.

I loved this book as much as I love curling up with a good cup of coffee in my "comfy pants" (which is A LOT). I love that Katy and Daemon kinda hate each other. Buuuuuut, they kinda love each other too. That makes for some fun, caustic dialog. Armentrout was really brilliant in this book. She had me hanging on every word, wondering what event would finally throw Katy and Daemon together for good. I loved that they would fight bitterly one minute and do something selfless and amazing the next. It was exciting. I can't wait until Onyx (Lux #2) comes out!

No comments: