June 25, 2012

Book #67 - My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2)





My Soul to Save, Rachel Vincent
279 pages
urban fantasy, paranormal romance
Started 6/11/12
Finished 6/18/12
3 STARS

I wanted to turn my attention back to the Soul Screamers series after a bit of a break from it. I really enjoyed the first book in the series - it was something a little different from what I was used to. Unfortunately, I felt that the second installment fell a little short.

Kaylee and Nash witness a singer drop dead on stage, but Kaylee's urge to scream isn't engaged. This tells them that something nefarious is afoot. Turns out, the singer, and scores of others, have sold their souls to the devil, in a manner of speaking. And, Kaylee, Nash and Tod try to help get them back, at great personal risk.

In a word, I was bored. Sad, right? Hard to believe after I enjoyed the first book so much. I think the problem was, there was no shock value anymore. No secrets to unravel. Everything was learned in the first book. We found out exactly what Kaylee, Nash and Tod were, what they could do and what happens when they do it. So, there's nothing exciting to be revealed any longer. I felt that the conflict introduced was not a big deal, either. I want to see our heroes lives hanging in the balance. I want to see them fight for love and life and limb. No get attacked by an overgrown weed and grounded by an overprotective parent.

I hear the series gets better as it goes. I trust my biliophile buds when it comes to their literary recommendations, so I will pick up the third in the series eventually. But, there are a lot of other really fantastic books to read first. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Katja Weinert said...

Sucks...well...when sequel suck/ are a let down. Makes sense that something's lacking if most's already been revealed. I may pick up the first in the series some day.