January 10, 2013

Book #142 - The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)


 
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1), Gena Showalter
adult paranormal romance
379 pages
Started 12/30/12
Finished 12/31/12
4 STARS

You know how you have a favorite series, and in between the release of the books, you search high and low for a replacement to fill the void? That's what The Darkest Night was for me - my Black Dagger Brotherhood space filler. And, I got a pleasant surprise. This book ended up more than filler - I actually really loved it!

Ashlyn hears too many voices in her head, so she seeks the help of the Lords of the Underworld to help her silence them. The first Lord she meets is Maddox, who carries the demon Violence inside him. Although they try and deny their connection, it's soon too strong to sever.

My favorite part about this book was the story surrounding how the demons escaped and ended up riding on the backs of these gorgeous immortals. Such an interesting twist to the story of Pandora's box.

The insta-love that I hate so much was there, but for some reason, I gave it a pass here. In contemporary romance books, it's far less forgiveable. Perhaps since the setting here was so much more mysterious, as was Maddox with his temper and his demon, and Ashlyn with her own power, the insta-love that happened between the two of them was understandable and maybe even expected.

I liked that the bad guys were and weren't who you expected. I thought the addition of the four women were a bit distracting at times - they seemed non-essential to the story overall. I realize they will probably play a part in later books, but in this one, alone, their scenes slowed the story down.

Overall, I really liked The Darkest Night and the Lords of the Underworld. I look forward to checking out the rest of these hotties. 

No comments: