March 11, 2016

EARLY REVIEW: Hawke (Cold Fury Hockey #5)



Hawke (Cold Fury Hockey #5), by Sawyer Bennett
Publish Date:
March 15, 2016
Publisher: Loveswept
Format: ARC, provided by the publisher
Genre: adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Rating: 4 STARS


(Synopsis) Off the ice, elite defenseman Hawke Therrien enjoys his fair share of booze and good times. And why shouldn’t he? He’s worked his way up from the minor leagues and made himself a star. The only thing Hawke misses from that life is the pierced, tattooed free spirit who broke his heart without so much as an explanation. She’s almost unrecognizable when she walks back into his life seven years later—except for the look in her eyes that feels like a punch to the gut.


Vale Campbell isn’t the same girl she was at twenty. As crazy as she was about Hawke, her reckless behavior and out-of-control drinking were starting to scare her. She had to clean up her act, and that would never happen with Hawke around. Cutting him loose was the hardest thing Vale ever had to do—until now. Because she’s still crazy about Hawke. And if he could ever learn to forgive her, they just might have a future together.

As expected, I loved this book. I've loved ALL the Cold Fury books. Each man who has been highlighted so far - Alex, Garrett, Zach, Ryker, and now Hawke - have something unique and special about them that drawn me in and make me want to stay awhile. Each guy has been awesome.

But Hawke... sweet mama. That man.

Hawke is intense and focused and dedicated to his job. He lives and breathes hockey and always has. It seems like, when Hawke fixates on something, he's all in with 200% of his body, mind and soul. He is that way with his hockey, and he was that way with his high school sweetheart, Vale, until she dumped him without an explanation. 

The only reason Hawke did not get 5 stars from me was because of Vale. I hated what she did and how she handled things between them. Sorry but, "young and emotional" is not a good enough reason for destroying the person you love and causing seven years of heartache. And, yet that's what she did, and it was hard for me to feel on her side for most of the book. 

I loved how, when Vale found herself employed by the Cold Fury, Hawke decided to insinuate himself back in her life, whether she liked it or not. That's why I loved this guy. Despite the hurt she inflicted on him and how angry he still is to this day, he also recognized that he still cared for her and her family, and he wasn't willing to turn his back on what he saw as a second chance. 

Vale committed one of my topmost unforgivable sins. I can't tell you what that is without giving away major spoilers, but needless to say, that was the source of much of my dislike toward her. Even after everything came to light and her reasons were explained, it still didn't move my needle enough to say that I "liked" her. But Hawke made it all worthwhile.

I loved catching up with previous couples. Since Ryker is the newest member of the team, he and Hawke bonded and became good friends, so we saw more of him than any of the other guys. And, despite my disliking Vale, the times when she was able to lower her shields and let Hawke in were awesome. They were a really hot couple, and the fact that they had history made them even hotter. 

The Cold Fury team is still full of lots of hot guys to write stories about, thank goodness. I'm setting my sights on Max next. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.